Wednesday 31 July 2019

A Friend First


                                  


“That’s my favorite teacher” haven’t we all said that at least once? Well, I have!
For various reasons, some teachers leave a lifelong impression upon their students. A few have superb teaching skills, some explain brilliantly, and certainly earn a reputation for their approachability. I have always had a fondness for teachers who could make their students comfortable, it felt good to attend their lectures, even with difficult subjects like Mathematics (please don’t judge me). 

I have always awed some of my teachers for making us feel more than mere students attending a lecture. It is very important for learners to feel that they are important in a class, not only does that boost their confidence, but it also makes them more attentive, and they participate better. 

I grew up having a few splendid teachers, whose teaching skills imprinted my teaching skills. Being a lecturer myself, teaching adults, I came to a realization that it was all the more important to be a friend first. 

Your class can be bliss for both you and your students if your students feel they can be themselves during the lectures, and around you. Once you give them a confidante, they too give you commendable performance. Believe you me, I have seen a few putting in much more effort in my class than any other, and it is such an encouragement as an educator. 

Sometimes, it is crucial to know the youngsters in your class. As a teacher, you do get to know if a student is an upset-they show, through ways-if only you are willing to notice. If a student knows his/her sentiments are important to you, s(he) will also make an effort to reciprocate by being present-attentive! That is a bonus in itself! Having a class full of students who are willing to listen, learn and absorb-it is truly essential! 

So let’s try and motivate better, let’s try and be teachers who leave a watermark for being much more than mere instructors, let’s try to be friends first!

Until next time,
Mrs. A 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once Upon A Sunday

You must have read at a lot of places now, now that social media is often found flooding with-how we need to cater to the emotional and...